Thursday, 10 January 2013

1 Minute Film - Initial Ideas to Execution

Our personal one minute films must be done in one take and have sync-sound. Other than these conditions we have free-reign over what to do.
This as an idea was very challenging to me as I like to push myself to do different things, but with no real guide to cling to I struggled to come up with an idea.

I felt there were so many possible things I could film for a minute. My initial experiments involved filming LED lights through different surfaces. The most successful of these was my rowing machine.

The fan at the end has a series of small holes which look very interesting when projected onto a blank wall. Especially when the fan itself is going.

However I found that this idea did not really sustain a full minute's worth of footage and also struggled for how to have a sync soundtrack to go with this image.

Eventually I came upon the idea of using my synthesizer to artificially create a soundtrack while filming at the same time. This would technically create sync sound as it was recorded at the same time as the image while still granting me a good deal of control over it.

At this point I started looking into smoke photography and thought that this could be an interesting evolution of my first idea with the light through the holes.



I decided I wanted to use this idea of smoke filmed lit up through some kind of hole and then use my synthesizer to create a sort of artificial wind sound.

Originally I wanted to use a door handle that would fall off the door and leave a hole through which smoke would pour through, but as I tried this the idea didn't work as well as I hoped. It looked kind of silly and also the effect was not ethereal enough since the audience could gauge the size of what was happening.

I needed to abstract it further and so I decided a fully dark room with a ring binder to use as a hole to blow smoke through with a multicolour changing light behind it would create a fairly abstract effect that I could layer my soundtrack onto. It took a fair few takes to get the sound and image to look right, but I was quite pleased with the outcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment