Tuesday, 9 October 2012

Tape Generations


http://vimeo.com/28826269



I really enjoy it when an artist comes up with a concept that requires patience and time and then sticks with it and creates something that is visually very striking.

In a response to a comment on his video:

"I worked on this project for about 6 months. I tried many different compositions and then made a selection. A single composition could take more than 12 hours to develop/breakdown.
(the spinning of the plate was done by hand, turnin the plate about 0,4 degree's every 30 seconds, this meant i was standing in the wind and the rain for hours watching the tape "grow" and watching the sun come up/go down)" - Johan Rijpma

In a way for me this is an extremely important part in experimental film making. Trying something (no matter how difficult) to see how it looks on film...especially when you can reverse it or use time lapse and possibly add other effects.

I think the way he puts the tape inside a glass case outside is particularly clever. It adds another visual layer to something that is already interesting to see.
I also enjoy the slightly unsettling tape sounds as they speed up and slow down.

Seeing this definitely makes me want to get out there and try some different stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment